Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Random Thoughts

Spring Training is still going strong with a little over two weeks left before Opening Day. I thought I’d do a “Random Thoughts” post to get some of what I’ve been thinking with the start of the season approaching.

- I admit that I’m always skeptical when it concerns Clay Buchholz; I find him inconsistent. But, if he can translate his great Spring so far (8.1 IP, 6H, 0R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO), he’s going to be a great #2 starter. Lester, the slated #1 starter, is also having a great Spring (14.0 IP, 6H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 10 SO).

- Also with pitching, the Sox have been impressed with Allen Webster, who came over from the Dodgers. This Spring, Webster is at 11.0 IP, 9H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 14 SO. He’s also held opposing batters to a .220 Average while keeping his WHIP below 1.00 (0.91 currently). I’m sure he’ll start the season in Pawtucket, but it’s a nice feeling to know if someone goes down in the rotation, there’s adequate help in Triple-A.

- Does Hanrahan’s performance this Spring concern me? No. Closers are a different breed than starters or even other relievers. Closers come into the game (most of the time) when the win is on the line; it’s up to them to keep the win in tact. Spring Training is a way for pitchers (and hitters and fielders) to get lose and into the baseball-frame-of-mind. Hanrahan will come along.

- I’m currently reading Terry Francona’s book, The Red Sox Years. I’m only about a quarter of the way through with it, which is a shame because it’s really enjoyable. I just finished the Duck Boat Parade of 2004. If you haven’t read or planned on reading the book, I highly recommend it. Reliving some of the “glory days” of the Red Sox’s recent success (last ten years) is always great, especially after suffering the past two seasons.

- Speaking of Terry Francona, if you have not watched the Cleveland Indians Harlem Shake video, you need to. Here’s the link from the Boston Gobe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/03/tito_gets_his_g.html

And here’s the link to a list showing which players/managers were dressed as which characters:

http://tribevibe.mlblogs.com/2013/03/13/harlem-shake-bring-your-own-costume-monday-2/

It made my day. Take note of the former Red Sox affiliates: Terry Francona (Big Baby), Justin Masterson (Human Bear), and Rich Hill (one of the two Easter Bunnies). A little sad that there wasn’t Dice-K dressed up as a Teletubbie again.

- This weekend is St. Patrick’s Day, which means one thing to me: the Sox wear their green uniforms on Sunday. I’ve been wearing the same, green Varitek shirt for the past 5 or so years on St. Patrick’s Day, and I don’t intend to break tradition. However, on Saturday, my boyfriend and I will be sporting matching, green “Drink Like Wade” (as in Wade Boggs, if you needed a hint) shirts for our St. Patrick’s Day celebrations with our friends.

- Opening Day for the Sox is April 1st. Like every year, I will be taking that day off work to watch the game.

Well, that’s about it in my post today. I hope everyone has a fun, and safe, St. Patrick’s Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment