Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Thankful My MLB Feed Was Not Working at the Gym Last Night

I did not watch the game last night, but it wasn’t by choice. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve gotten into running again, and I’m currently training for a 7-mile road race in July by following a 15K program. Last night was a scheduled 4-mile run. It was cold (39 degrees at 5:00 last night) and rainy (0.40” yesterday), so that run had to be done at the gym.

About a week and a half ago, I listened to a Red Sox game on WEEI while I did a 4-mile run, and I really enjoyed it. That was the plan last night. Unfortunately, or maybe in hindsight fortunately, the radio feed on MLB-At-Bat wasn’t working at the gym. I also couldn’t get the video feed to load. So, I ended up listening to my running playlist while watching the GameDay action.

I wonder if anyone noticed the faces I was making during the top of the 3rd inning of the game because I know I was making some strange faces and gestures. (Lucky for me, I go to Planet Fitness, where judging is not allowed).

Aceves walked the first batter, gave up a single to Crisp, then walked the third batter. Bases loaded. No outs. Then, he walks the next batter, and the score is 1-0. Lowrie strikes out, and I started to think that the Sox could get out of the inning with minimal damage.

WRONG!

Moss singles, scoring two. 3-0. Runners on first and second, and Aceves balks. Next batter, sac fly. 4-0, 2 outs. Reddick hits and RBI single, then advances to 2nd base on a throwing error by Aceves. 5-0. Aceves balks again, and Reddick is now on 3rd.  Middlebrooks has a throwing error on the next play; Reddick scores and runner is on 1st. 6-0. Finally, the third out comes from a ground out by Eric Sogard, who started the inning with a walk.

The fourth inning wasn’t much better.

Crisp grounds out to start the inning. Then, Jaso hits a double and Seth Smith homers. 8-0. Lowrie singles. Finally, Farrell pulls Aceves in favor of Stephen Wright, who forces a double-play ball to end the inning.

The Sox ended up losing 13-0 in 7 innings.

I know the Sox were in a jam when Lackey went on the disabled list so early in the season, and Aceves has seemed like the logical choice the past couple seasons because of his versatility. But, the guy has an attitude problem, and a big one at that. For a team that is focused on “team chemistry,” it’s strange that management hasn’t traded Aceves.

The thing about Aceves is when he’s good, he’s great. He really does have dominant stuff when he’s on. But, when he’s not good, he’s horrendous. But, it never seems to be his fault.

In an article on The Boston Globe website, it stated that Aceves was pretty much blaming everything and everyone besides himself for his issues on the mound last night. To quote, “Aceves blamed the conditions, the mound, the strike zone of umpire Hunter Wendelstedt and, bizarrely, even his teammates for his performance.”

See: Aceves Accepts Little Responsibility for Loss, http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/04/aceves_accepts.html

Stephen Wright, who came in for Aceves and gave up 5 runs last night, is being optioned back to Triple-A. Daniel Bard, who had pitched so poorly in Spring Training that he was demoted to Double-A, will be in the Red Sox bullpen tonight; the bullpen needs fresh arms. The thought is John Lackey will be starting for the Red Sox on Sunday.

So, what are the Sox going to do with Aceves? I’m guessing he’s traded at some point this season. The Sox need him at the moment, probably more so with Lackey coming back in the line-up, for long-relief. But, I’m guessing he won’t be around much longer.

The Sox are tired of his attitude, as are the fans. The organizations has young pitchers in Triple-A who can make an impact on the Major League team. I have to end this entry by a tweet Pete Abraham, writer for The Boston Globe, posted last week, after Aceves’ last start:

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe
“All you clamoring for Aceves to come out of the game: I’d like to see you go out there and tell him he’s done.” -April 17, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment