Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, July 29, 2013

Ortiz's Call to the Bullpen

For this post, I could talk about the Red Sox being shut out in Friday’s game and coming back to win the next two against the Orioles.  I could talk about how the Rays held first place for two days before yesterday’s game.  I could talk about how important tonight’s Rays- Red Sox make-up game is. 

No, instead, I want to talk about Ortiz taking out his frustration on the telephone to the bullpen during Saturday’s night’s game.

First, Ortiz had a right to be angry at the calls he was receiving during that at-bat.  He should’ve received his ball 4 and walked to first base.  Instead, the umpire, allegedly, took offense to Ortiz starting to walk to first without the Ball 4 call being made and called the pitch a strike.  The umpire did it again the next pitch, and Ortiz was called out on strikes.

As I stated, Ortiz had a right to be angry at the calls, but he didn’t have a right to take his frustration out on the telephone.  I think we all can agree to that. 

Not only did he destroy property, but he could have (and almost did) injure someone, like one of his teammates or coaches.  Pedroia, who acknowledged he was the smallest member of the team, was the one to get in Ortiz’s face and tell him to “calm down.”  (If that doesn’t speak volumes to Pedroia’s character and why he deserves to be the Captain of this team, I don’t know what will.)

Ortiz has a tendency to go off once or twice a season, usually in the heat of summer, and everything’s fine afterwards.  If this is his one time, then okay.  But, the fact that he destroyed property, could’ve injured someone, and did this in front of thousands of people (and who knows how many more watching on television) concerns me a little.

Look, I like Big Papi as much as the next person; he seems like a big teddy bear 99% of the time.  I agree that every once in a while, people need to blow off some steam.  As a public figure, maybe it would have been best if Ortiz blew off his steam behind closed doors.

In light of all this, I thought I’d post some pictures and Tweets that have been floating around the Internet regarding the incident:








Ortiz went 4-for-4 yesterday with a home run, so I’m sure he’s put the incident behind him.  In fact, the sweetest revenge would’ve been Ortiz playing the way he did yesterday without the phone incident.

As an aside, I will not be posting next week because I will be on vacation, and I’m not sure what kind of wi-fi service I’ll be receiving.  I will be posting Wednesday and Friday this week though, so make sure to come back for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment