Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Random Thoughts

Welcome back to a Tuesday edition of the blog.  I apologize for not doing a Red Sox post yesterday; but as I mentioned, it was a busy day getting back into the routine.  In fact, I had so much stuff at work that didn’t get done yesterday, I went in 45 minutes early today.  If that’s not dedication, I don’t know what is.

Today, I’m going to do a Random Thoughts post.  I wasn’t able to watch many Red Sox games last week (though, I listed to a few on the radio), and the Sox didn’t play last night. 

  During yesterday’s off day, Pedroia, Saltalamacchia, and Gomes took in the Jays-A’s day game.  I find this refreshing.  Here are these players who make millions of dollars and have to play 162 games during the season, and they love baseball so much, they want to take in a game on their off day… or, they’re scoping out the competition (Red Sox play the Jays today).  Here’s the picture:


  Ryan Kalish will be undergoing cervical fusion surgery today in Los Angeles.  Basically, this surgery is fusing together bones in the neck or putting in a metal implant.  Either way, it doesn’t sound pleasant.  This isn’t thought to be career-ending for Kalish, but one starts to wonder how Kalish could ever come back to the caliber of player he was after four major surgeries in two years (disc surgery in neck- 2011, left shoulder labrum- 2011, right shoulder labrum- 2013, cervical fusion- 2013).

  There has been some speculation (via Twitter, from what I’ve seen) about which pitcher will be the odd-man out once Buchholz returns.  First, let’s make sure Buchholz returns and is effective before we start the speculation.  Second, it’ll be September.  I’ve said all along that a 6-man rotation in September would be the best decision.  It’s always best to go into the post-season with a well-rested team.  Of course, I’m not expert either.

  Speaking of starting pitching, which starters would you have pitch in the post-season from the five we have now?  Lackey, Doubront, and Peavy are my choices at the moment, but that could change, of course, down the stretch.

  The minor league baseball field in my hometown, Modern Woodmen Park, was one of the finalists for the Best Minor league Ballpark Nominees for 2013 voted on by USAToday readers.  The winner won’t be announced until tomorrow; but as of yesterday, it had a slight lead over Louisville.  I’ll let you know what the outcome is when I find out, but here’s a picture of our great ball field:



  I received a text from my boyfriend this morning with the message The Sox should sign this guy and a link to a video of Jose Iglesias making a crazy play.  Here’s the link to the video, if you haven't seen it yet:


  Finally, I’m going to leave you today with two photos.  The first one is from my vacation.  My boyfriend and I were eating lunch at a sandwich shop along Lake Winnipesaukee last week when I snapped this gorgeous photo:


And this photo is of the apartment in Connecticut.  My apartment is the bottom floor, and I love it:

I hope everyone comes back tomorrow for the regularly scheduled Red Sox post.

No comments:

Post a Comment