Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Friday, April 20, 2012

Happy 100th Anniversary, Fenway Park

Fenway Park turns 100 years old today, and it seems the Red Sox are doing something right this year, the celebration. Yesterday, the Sox had a Open House at Fenway, inviting the public in for pictures, autographs, and a bunch of other things. I can only imagine what that had to be like. If I had the time and money, I would’ve been there. No doubt about it.

Today, the Red Sox play the New York Yankees at 3:00 Easter (2:00 Central for those of you like me who live in the Midwest). 100 years ago today, the Red Sox took on the New York Highlanders at Fenway Park for the first of many, many, many games at the beloved ballpark. For the game today, the Red Sox and Yankees will be wearing throwback uniforms from the 1912 teams.

The Sox invited every single player to ever adorn a Red Sox uniform to the game. The last I heard, over 100 previous players will be attending the festivities to take place before the Red Sox play the Yankees this afternoon. Sadly, Dave Roberts will not be attending because he is a coach with the Padres (Curt Schilling issued a public statement saying he will not be attending because of “other commitments. Schilling, a public statement was not needed).

Yesterday in The Boston Globe, Chad Finn wrote an article in his “Touching All the Bases” section entitled “Looking Forward to the Red Sox Reunion” where he discussed his Red Sox Dream Team (to check it out, go here: http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2012/04/red_sox_reunion.html). He explained which player at every position he wanted to attend the festivities. I thought I would do the same thing, so here it goes:

Catcher
Carlton Fisk (1969, 1971-1980)
I know he played before my time, but Fisk is a legend. I could have easily put Jason Varitek here because he will always be one of my favorite players, but the chance to see Fisk at Fenway would mean a so much to so many people, including me.

First Base
Kevin Millar (2003-2005)
Millar was the player who started the 2004 Red Sox team’s role. He stated, publicly, that the Yankees had better not let the Red Sox win game 4 of the ALCS. With that statement, he predicted the Red Sox would do something amazing, something that had never been done before in baseball. In game 4, Millar his lead-off walk against Mariano Rivera in the 9th inning was one of the most iconic plays in Red Sox history.

Second Base
Bobby Doerr (1937-1951)
Bobby Doerr is 94 years old, and there’s close to no chance that he’ll be at the Fenway festivities today. However, he’s one of those legends that you hear about growing up… and my parents probably heard about his playing growing up. He’s a Hall of Famer, 9 times All-Star, and he played his entire career with the Red Sox. Jerry Remy was another one I would consider for this position, but I see him most nights on NESN.

Shortstop
Nomar Garciaparra (1996-2004)
Let’s face it, Nomar was the Red Sox when he was on the team. People were heartbroken when one of the most beloved players of a (my) generation was traded to the Cubs. But, it was with that trade that the Red Sox obtained the pieces they needed to win the World Series. Also fitting was that Nomar officially retired as a member of the Red Sox.

Third Base
Mike Lowell (2006-2010)
When players leave the Red Sox by trade, free agency, or retirement, I typically “retire” the player t-shirts I have of them to pajamas. Not Mike Lowell. I wear my Lowell shirt proudly because he is one of the most inspirational players I have ever witnessed play the game. I recommended reading his book “Deep Drive: A Long Journey to Finding the Champion Within.” To think, he was a “toss-in” in the Josh Beckett trade, and then became the World Series MVP in 2007.

Right Field
Trot Nixon (1996-2006)
Did you think I choose JD Drew? Trot was a “Boston Dirt Dog,” a scrapper. He wore a mohawk hairstyle during the 2004 championship run. Trot was one of the most passionate players the Red Sox have seen. I’m really hoping he’s at Fenway today.

Center Field
Johnny Damon (2002-2005)
It actually kind of pangs me to say that I want to see Johnny Damon at Fenway, but he was a major contributor to the 2004 World Series Champions. I doubt he will be at Fenway, considering he just signed with the Cleveland Indians, but it would be nice to see him at Fenway, to celebrate the Red Sox, not criticize them.

Left Field
Carl Yastrzemski (1961-1983)
Yaz is another legend that you think of when great Red Sox players come to mind. He’s a Hall of Famer, 18 times All-Star, 7 times Gold Glove winner, and 1967 AL MVP. The only other thing he needed was a World Series ring.

Pitcher
Pedro Martinez (1998-2004)
Pedro is one of the best pitchers ever to wear a Red Sox uniform, and may be one of the best pitchers ever. His career ERA is 2.93, and he won the Cy Young Award three times. Plus, he’s a character! Martinez was always one of those players who wore his emotions on his sleeve, whether he was laughing, hugging, and telling jokes with his team mates or charging at Don Zimmer.

Designated Hitter
Johnny Pesky (1942, 1946-1952 as player, 1963-1964, 1980 as manager)
I’m using this position more of a wildcard than as an actually position, since David Ortiz is the ultimate Red Sox DH. Johnny Pesky is a fixture in Red Sox legend and at Fenway Park (until 2007 when MLB ruled that only six coaches could be in the dugout during a game). I don’t think there has ever been a person associated with the Red Sox who loved the team more than Johnny Pesky.

Manager
Terry Francona (2004-2001)
Tito is the reason the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 and 2007. He is considered one of the most successful, if not THE most successful manager, in Red Sox history. Even as a commentator now with ESPN, he still seems more a part of this team than the current manager. He is respected and loved by the players, and I am very happy he decided to come to Fenway today and be honored. I’m sure he’ll get the loudest applause by the fans.

Of course, these are just my picks as to who I want to see at Fenway today. I’m sure there are more and others that people are going to see and want to see. It should be fun and interesting to see who makes an appearance. Go Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment