Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Friday, May 4, 2012

Could This Be an End to an Era in New York?

While shagging balls during batting practice yesterday, Mariano Rivera tore his ACL in his right knee. He is done for the season and possibly his career. As a Red Sox fan, I was conditioned from an early age to dislike the Yankees with a passion. While I can dislike a team, there are still players on that team I respect. Mariano River is on the top of that list.

Rivera was reportedly going to announce whether or not he would retire at the end of the season around the All-Star break this year. He said that he wanted to give the fans their last chance at seeing him pitch. At the time, I took this as both admirable and cocky; but now, I wish this would’ve happened. I wanted to see Rivera throw his last pitch, go out in glory (even as a Yankee), not end his career with a freak injury.

I know it’s not official that Rivera’s career is over, but it sure appears that way. He’s 42 years old, and there has been speculation in the past that he was going to retire. It seems inevitable that this is the end. On the bright side, in five years, we should be seeing him being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Mariano Rivera truly is a class act. He’s had a long career (this was his 18th season) and all with the same team, a true rarity these days. His career ERA is 2.21, which is the highest among active pitchers, and he has a record 608 career saves. He was an All-Star 12 times and finished among the top-five for Cy Young five times. He had 10 seasons where his ERA was below 2.00 and his WHIP was below 1.00; his career WHIP is .998.

I know this is a Red Sox blog, and Red Sox fans are supposed to “hate” the Yankees. But, I think we all can respect Mariano Rivera (even while remembering game 4 of the 2004 ALCS). If he has it in him, I would love to see Rivera make a comeback next year.

UPDATE:  Rivera is vowing to come back.  He tweeted: Thank you fans, friends and family for your prayers, well wishes and support.  I will be ok.  I will be back.
If not, he truly was one of the best pitchers I will ever see in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment