Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Friday, May 11, 2012

Josh Kroeger- Davenport, Iowa Native


Yesterday, in my frustration with the Red Sox calling up Daniel Nava, I started to do a little digging into the farm system. Now, I like Nava, and who can forget his debut grand slam? But, Nava was not what the Red Sox needed. They need pitching and/or a spark. Nava wouldn’t provide either.

So, I went to the information Baseball Reference website; and through a few channels, discovered that Josh Kroeger, who is on Pawtucket’s team, was born in Davenport, Iowa. Davenport is where I’m from, if you didn’t know that tidbit. I couldn’t believe that I didn’t know this piece of information!

There aren’t too many famous people from Davenport. As far as athletes, Roger Craig (NFL), Michael Nunn (Boxing), and Ricky Davis (NBA) are probably the most famous. Actors Lara Flynn Boyle and Matthew Ashford (actor on soap operas) were also born in Davenport. My great-grandfather, who I’ve mentioned played for the Red Sox, wasn’t even born in Davenport; he was born across the Mississippi River in Rock Island, Illinois.

I tried gathering more information about Kroeger, but I didn’t find too much. He graduated from high school in California, San Diego I believe. I’m not sure how or when he went to California, and I don’t know anyone who knows Kroeger or his family.

And before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am not promoting Josh Kroeger being called up to the Red Sox. In 29 games this year, he’s hitting .239 with 2 home runs and 6 RBIs. He’s not what the Red Sox need at this time; they need a miracle.

But, this blog is about being a Red Sox fan in Iowa, and part of that is finding connections between Iowa and the Red Sox. I have done this with my hometown. If Kroeger ever does make the Red Sox roster (and at this point, who knows with the AAAA players that area appearing on the field), it’ll definitely be cool to think he’s from my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment