Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Red Sox v. Indians


The Red Sox trudge back to Fenway today to play four games against the Cleveland Indians. In doing this, they’ll get to welcome back Justin Masterson, Derek Lowe, and Johnny Damon. I’m hoping that some Fenway Magic happens because being so vested in a team that’s appearing like they don’t care is getting exhausting.

I looked at the pitching match-ups for the next four games, and I think they should be interesting. Here they are below:

Thursday: RHP Derek Lowe (4-1, 2.39 ERA) v. RHP Josh Beckett (2-3, 4.45 ERA)
Friday: RHP Ubaldo Jimenez (3-2, 4.04 ERA) v. RHP Clay Buchholz (3-1, 9.09 ERA)
Saturday: RHP Josh Tomlin (1-2, 4.67 ERA) v. LHP Felix Doubront (2-1, 5.29 ERA)
Sunday: RHP Justin Masterson (1-2, 4.89 ERA) v. RHP Daniel Bard (2-4, 4.83 ERA)

The two games I’m looking forward to most (in terms of pitching match-ups anyway) are tonight’s game with Lowe v. Beckett and Sunday’s game with Masterson v. Bard. Essentially, it’s the old Red Sox versus the new(er) Red Sox. It will also be interesting to see what kind of reaction Beckett gets tonight after yesterday’s “bombshell” allegations that he went golfing on his off day (oh, the horror!).

The reception the fans give Johnny Damon will also be interesting. He’s been booed before, but will he be booed again? Personally, I was a huge Damon fan when he was on the team (I have mentioned that before). I bought his book, had his shirt, and even have his autograph ball (well, the family does, not me personally).

When he went to the Yankees, I didn’t hate him or even dislike him. It was like how I feel about Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, or Robinson Cano; I respect them but can’t truly cheer for them. I think when Damon refused a trade from the Tigers to the Red Sox a few years ago he lost a lot more of his fans in Boston. He claimed he didn’t like the atmosphere because the fans had booed him. While I don’t agree with the fans booing him, he was on the Yankees. He jumped ship.

Even though Masterson was only on the Red Sox for a short while (parts of two season), many fans (myself included) were fans of him. He was never great while on the Red Sox, but you could tell he cared. He cared about the fans, and even when he was traded to the Indians for Victor Martinez in 2009, he kept his word to the fans by doing a charity event that was lined up previously. There was also mention that his first trip back to Fenway, his wife baked cookies.

Derek Lowe will probably get some claps, but I don’t see him getting any type of reception like Damon would get. Damon’s reception is going to be loud, no matter which way it goes. I don’t see that with Lowe. He was in the National League for a long time, and some fans probably don’t remember him from the 2004 World Series team (I know, how could they forget?).

Here’s hoping tonight’s game goes better than the last two…. Or really the entire season.

No comments:

Post a Comment