Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Boston Globe Baseball Quiz

So, I was content with having just the one, two-sentence post for today, until I saw that The Boston Globe had a short quiz on their Extra Bases page. So, here are the questions with my answers:

Question 1: If you could meet any one player in baseball history, who would it be?

My great-grandfather, Al Van Camp. He passed away four years before I was born. I would ask him what it was like to play in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s and what it was like to meet and play with legends like Babe Ruth and Lou Gherig (barnstormers’ teams).

Question 2: Who is your favorite non-Red Sox player in the Majors now?

Well, if I didn’t say Bronson Arroyo, I would be lying; still enjoy watching him pitch and having his leg fly higher than I would ever imagine my own going. For a non-Red Sox-ever-affiliated-player… Josh Hamilton. It’s more because I read his book and was impressed by how far he’s come to achieve what he’s achieved now.

Question 3: If you could pick any active pitcher to start Game 1 of the World Series, who would it be?

Roy Halladay. I had to make sure he was active, since he’s been on the disabled list for most of this season. Halladay’s always been one of those pitchers who I never wanted the Red Sox to face; he’s experienced and dominant.

Question 4: If you could attend one game in baseball history, which would it be?

The barnstormer game on October 17, 1927 in Des Moines, Iowa between the Bustin Babes and Larrupin Lous. My great-grandfather was on the Bustin Babes; and in the picture, he is standing just to the left (viewer’s left) of Babe Ruth.

Question 5: If you could take any player in the Majors to add to the Red Sox roster, who would it be? Take age, salary, and health into account.

Stephen Strasburg. The team needs pitching, and they need young pitching. Strasburg is a Cy Young contender, young (24), and his salary is VERY affordable (signed a 4 yr/ $15.4 million contract in 2009), won’t be eligible for arbitration until 2014, and won’t be a free agent until 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment