Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, August 27, 2012

Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett, and Punto Gone

If you’re interested in sports, particularly baseball, I’m sure you’ve heard about the major trade the Red Sox and Dodgers pulled off this weekend. Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, and Nick Punto (along with $11-12 million, depending on which source you use) were sent to the Dodgers for first baseman James Loney and four prospects. The Sox shredded around $250 million from their payroll over the next 6 years by doing this.

I would be lying if I said I was happy about the trade. While Gonzalez wasn’t hitting the home runs like people thought he would’ve in Boston, he was a plus-300 average hitter, lead the American League in doubles, was probably the most solid defensive first baseman in the league, and generally had a good attitude (well, there was some debate about that over the last few weeks). But, I feel like the Red Sox gave up too much when they traded the Padres for Gonzalez. Remember, they sent Anthony Rizzo (now seen as a savior-like player for the Cubs), and Casey Kelly (who will be starting for the Padres today).

Crawford got a bad rap in Boston. Last year was difficult for him, and it seemed a lot of his uneasiness came from playing for Francona; the two just never seemed to click. In the limited games Crawford played this year, while injured, he was impressive.

Punto… well, I was happy to see him and his .200 batting average leave.

Beckett’s probably the player that needed to go the most but who I really did not want to leave. I understand his issues with his attitude, his inability to pitch well this year (though, he never seems to pitch well on even-numbered years, if you check the stats), his inability to lead an already dysfunctional pitching staff, etc. But, Beckett’s been there the longest. It’s hard to see him go while someone like John Lackey is still sitting on the Red Sox bench.

I’m not sure what the Red Sox are going to do in the coming months with so much payroll to work with now. Essentially, they’ll the following players for next season: first baseman, shortstop, right-fielder, left-fielder, and at least two starting pitchers (to replace Beckett and Matsuzaka, whose contract is up after this season). Ellsbury status with the team is also in question, as his contract ends after next season and his agent is Scott Boras. Might also be seeing Ellsbury traded in the offseason… and there have been some rumors about Lester being moved as well.

Two things that I think the Red Sox will do this offseason are sign David Ortiz and Cody Ross. Ortiz, I believe, will get a one-year contract. He’s already said that he is planning on retiring after next season, and this year has been an injury-year for Ortiz (rumor is he will return to the disabled list today and could be out the rest of the season). I think Ross should be signed to a 2-3 year deal. He’s proven that he can play in Boston, and he has the type of attitude this team needs.

I was very agitated when I heard about this trade Friday because I felt like the ownership and Cherington were basically saying that they have given up for this year (as they should) and the next 2-3 years. The more I think about it, the more I feel like it was something the team had to do. They had to clean up Epstein’s mistakes (the high-priced contracts of Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez). I’m hoping this move turns out well in the end, but it’s still hard to comprehend exactly what the future holds for this Red Sox team.

Below are tweets the traded Red Sox players sent out on Saturday, once the trade was final. I find it a little interesting that Josh Beckett joined Twitter on Saturday as well.

Adrian Gonzalez @adriangon28
Thanks to Red Sox nation for everything. You guys are great!

Adrian Gonzalez @adriangon28
Excited to get back to Cali and be part of the Dodgertown!

Josh Beckett @beck19bb
Hey this is josh beckett Just set this up to say thanks to the great fans of #redsox nation I enjoyed the good times we had

Josh Beckett @beck19bb
Even in the tough times I ran into so many wonderful people that were so awesome I’m Greatly appreciative to all of you #redsox nation fans

Nick Punto @Shredderpunto
Thanks to all the fans of #Red Sox nation, also thank you to all my teammates, coach’s and staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment