Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Booing of Beckett

Be fair-warned, this is going to be a rant.

Last night, Josh Beckett was taken out of the in the 3rd inning with a back injury. Beckett had been breezing through the Tigers line-up until there were two outs in the 3rd. He then gave up a single to Omar Infante, hit Austin Jackson, and walked Quentin Berry. Next, Beckett walked Miguel Cabrera on five pitches, and a run scored. That’s when Bob McClure, an athletic trainer, and finally Valentine. Beckett was done for the night because of back spasms.

And then the boos came.

The “Fenway Faithful” booed Beckett, loudly. Beckett had been performing very well last night, despite the rain, and tried fighting through back spasms when he was finally taken out. You could tell he was trying, and the fans booed.

Beckett’s reaction was, “It is what it is.” Valentine commented, “I don’t think he deserved a boo at all… Those who were booing will probably take it back today when they figure out what the situation was.” I hope so.

I don’t care who the player is, fans should not boo a player when they are injured. I don’t care if it’s Joba Chamberlain, Alex Rodriguez, Luke Scott, Johnny Damon, Barry Bonds, etc. The fact that it was Red Sox fans booing their own player is despicable to me.

Yes, I am aware I may be in the minority with my support for Beckett. I do think he has what it takes to be a great No. 2, possibly No. 1, pitcher again. The way he was pitching the first two innings last night, in the rain and wind, proves my point that Beckett still has it.

But, seriously, why would the fans boo him? He had one bad inning last night, which was the inning he was taken out. He’s definitely not the worst pitcher the Red Sox have had in recent memory (John Lackey, Daisuke Matsuzaka anyone?). Can’t the fans give the guy the benefit of a doubt?

I get that fans are frustrated with Beckett this season. He hasn’t had a great year, the revelations of chicken-and-beer-gate are still fresh in everyone’s memories, he doesn’t like talking to the media, etc. But, come on? The fans seem to have forgiven Lester and Buchholz (I don’t think Lachey though, but that’s for other reason).

Even the next day, I still feel a little sick in my stomach that the fans at the game booed Beckett. Just watch, Beckett will land on the disabled list, Morales will be in the rotation and won’t be as effective. Then, the fans will be wishing for the day when Beckett gets off the DL.

No comments:

Post a Comment