Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Strange Night Last Night

Honestly, I didn’t watch all of the game last night. I did watch as much as I could, and things seemed off. When I flipped the game on at 6:30ish, Sox were already down 1-0.

That should have been the first red flag that this game wasn’t going to end well. I learned my lesson to count the Red Sox out so early in a game. Saturday night, my boyfriend and I were watching the game, and I threw a little tizzy when Doubront gave up 2 runs in the first inning. I kept saying the teams win streak was over, and they were going to lose the game. My boyfriend said they’d win. We bet dinner, and I lost.

So, last night I decided not to let my pessimism get to me, even when the Sox went down 4-0. Of course, Ortiz hit a home run, and it was 4-1. Then, Mike Carp homered, and it was 4-2. The Sox came battling back, when in the top of the 5th inning, Pedroia singled in Drew. But, two plays later, Ellsbury was picked off attempting to steal 3rd base.

In the top of the 6th inning, the Sox were down 6-3 with Mike Carp coming to the plate with one out, and Farrell pinch-hits Gomes for Carp. Gomes hits a home run, and Sox are down 6-4.

In the top of the 7th, bases are loaded with one out, and Ortiz comes to the plate. He hits a bases-clearing double, and the Sox are now on top 7-6. However, in the bottom of the 7th, Junichi Tazawa, who’s been pretty much lights-out this season, gives up a two-run double to Edwin Encarnacion (his second of the night), and the Sox are down 8-7. The Sox end up losing 9-7.

And now, the strange things:

- Lester, who has been one of the best pitchers in the Majors so far this season, gave up 6 runs, 5 earned. In the last two games, he’s given up a total of 8 earned runs. His ERA now stands at 3.11, but he’s 4-0.

- The Boston Globe indicated that Junichi Tazawa, who gave up 2 earned runs last night on Encarnacion’s home run, had not given up more than 1 earned run in a game since 2009.

- There was a weird play in the third inning, I guess, where the Jays had the bases loaded and no outs. Knowing the Jays team very well, Farrell had Salty throw to first base to pick off Bautista, who tends to drift away from the plate. When Salty threw the ball, it ended up in right field. Wild throw? Not according to Farrell and Salty.

From what I understand, Satly’s elbow struck the face mask of the home plate umpire, which should’ve resulted in a dead ball. However, the home plate umpire said that Salty did it in the follow-through of the throw, which would make it a wild throw. Since Salty didn’t protest at the time, nothing could be done. (I was in the other room when this happened, and my boyfriend started to yell at the television. I thought this was a little peculiar, since he was REALLY loud.)

For his part, Salty now says he knows of the rule, and that he can protest it to get the other umpires involved.

- David Ortiz is still the hottest hitter in the Majors. In 9 games, he’s hitting .500 with 3 home runs, 6 doubles, and 15 RBIs. Last night alone, he had a home run, a double, and 4 RBIs. This, coming from a player who didn’t play in Spring Training and was 4 for 18 in his rehab assignment.

- Shane Victorino didn’t play in last night’s game, and there’s still a lot of speculation of him ending up on the disabled list with his back issues. Victorino, who usually appears in front of the media, declined to talk last night. It was to the point where he hid from the media after the game and had someone bring him his clothes after showering (I have Twitter to thank for that little piece of information).

No comments:

Post a Comment