Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Does Johnny Damon Play This Year?


*Picture of Johnny Damon, some children, my Uncle Joe, and my dad in 2004

My dad went on a business trip to Boston in the summer of 2004. It was a pretty good trip for him because one of his brothers went with him, they were able to go to two Red Sox games, and he received Johnny Damon’s autograph. He brought me back a pink, Johnny Damon shirt. If you don’t know me very well, I hardly ever wear pink, especially pale pink. But, the shirt means a lot to me, as Johnny Damon was my favorite player at the time.

As we all know, Johnny Damon is no longer on the Boston Red Sox. He skipped town for the Yankees, then skipped the Yankees for the Tigers, and finally signed with the Rays last year. This year, however, Damon no longer has a team. Much has been said that Johnny Damon desperately wants to get to 3,000 hits (he’s at 2723 hits and has a good chance of making it to 3,000). There are reports that Damon has changed his swing to get more hits, not necessarily hitting for power or sacrifices when his team would need
him to. Damon has denied this. 

Damon doesn’t have a team thus far in 2012. There were only two teams this offseason that I heard multiple times were interested in Damon, the Orioles and Rays. It doesn’t appear that either team is going to sign him for this season though. In fact just today, MLB Trade Rumors had a quote from Dan Duquette, the Orioles GM:

I don't think so. I already signed Johnny Damon when he was 28.

Last year, at age 37, Damon hit .261 with 16 home runs and 7 triples. He also stole 19 bases, which is the most he’s stolen in the past three years. Scott Boras, who is either a great agent or a horrible one depending on who you talk to, is trying to find the right place for Damon and had this to say:

(Johnny Damon is) home, working out, waiting for the right team. Johnny Damon was about the third-best DH in the AL. I'm sure there's a lot of clubs that are looking at youth, and by the time spring training ends they may be looking at it differently.

Does Johnny Damon deserve to play this year? I think yes, based on his numbers from last year. However, the push seems to be for younger players, which Boras said. Damon would only truly benefit from playing in the American League, and those his prospects are quickly dwindling.

No comments:

Post a Comment