Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, March 5, 2012

Starting to Turn a Corner

Yesterday, I was able to watch my first Spring Training game of the season (for the record, the Sox had only played one “B” game last week and two exhibition games on Saturday). The Red Sox played the Twins yesterday in the first of six games against their “Mayors Cup” rival. While we had snow on the ground in Iowa, it looked warms and pleasant at JetBlue Ballpark (aka “Fenway South.”)

For the past three years, it seems like whenever the Red Sox are done playing (in the past three years, it’s after game 162, no playoffs), I need a little time to unwind from the baseball stuff. Typically, I’m frustrated by how the Sox have finished the season, especially last year. For the record, I went to bed during the rain delay in the on the final night of the regular season only to be woken up by my brother telling me the Red Sox lost and the Rays won.

With all the drama that happened at the end of the Red Sox’s season last year, I really wanted to put baseball behind me for a bit. I couldn’t, however, because Epstein skipped town to the Cubs and left behind him a mess that desperately needed to be cleaned up.

This was really hard to take because for years, I always thought Epstein would remain with the Red Sox because of the loyalty he felt for the team. After all, Epstein grew up a Red Sox fan and dreamed of working for the team.

My youngest brother’s favorite part of baseball is the offseason, and I’m pretty sure he would be a good general manager, if he ever desired to pursue that career. This offseason was a little atypical for the Red Sox though because they didn’t go after any of the “premiere” free-agents like Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols, or even Jonathan Papelbon. The Red Sox spent money last offseason; but this offseason, it seemed they were concentrated on doing smaller moves, like the trades for Melancon and Bailey.

Anyway, back to the game yesterday. As I watched the Red Sox play yesterday, I got this strange, unknown feeling. For years, the Red Sox pretty much had their rosters set before Spring Training started; this year, not necessarily the case.

Cody Ross hit two home runs in an exhibition game Saturday; one of those home runs was a grand slam. He would seem like the right fit for Right Field, but there’s talk of Ryan Sweeney and him platooning in the position this year. Hopefully, Sweeney plays today (line-ups have not been confirmed at the time of writing this post). It’s been said the Red Sox are trying to work on Sweeney’s power numbers, and I’m interested to see what he has going for him.

Lars Anderson, the former number one prospect for the Red Sox, also hit a grand slam yesterday against the Twins. From reports I’ve read so far this Spring Training, Anderson is starting to live up to his hype. Granted, it’s too early to say, but it is exciting to see that he’s doing well so far.

Where the “unknown” for Anderson lies is what the Red Sox are going to do with him? Anderson plays first base; the Red Sox have a great first baseman in Gonzalez and a very good backup first baseman in Youkilis. Does this mean Anderson is “trade bait?” If so, how much could someone like Anderson bring in? Also, it seems like so many teams have that power bat at first base (i.e. Pujols, Fielder, Votto, Texiera, etc.).

The situation at shortstop is interesting too. It’s been said countless times that Iglesias has the defense down but needs to get his offensive number up. Both Iglesias and Aviles seem to be swinging a hot bat so far (again, it’s really too early to tell but interesting to think about). Punto will most likely be utility man, but who would the Red Sox rather have at short? Iglesias or Aviles?

The fifth starter is also interesting to think about. Vincent Padilla’s stuff is said to be “nasty” (for those who aren’t keen on pitching terminology, “nasty” is a good thing). He’s going to pitch tonight versus the Twins, and I really can’t wait to see what he has. There’s still Aceves to think about as well, and MLB Trade Rumors is saying that the Red Sox are still pursuing Oswalt. All of this is really interesting, especially given the fact that Matsuzaka is throwing really well while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery and trying to get back to the Majors in June.

So, the “turning the corner” is really referencing me and the excitement I’m feeling about the season. I’m excited to see what this team really has and how Valentine is going to do as a manager (notice, I didn’t even reference Valentine in this post though I could go on about how impressed I am with him this Spring Training as well). I’m “turning the corner” to embrace this team that I once thought had more questions than answers because really, maybe having so many questions is a good thing for this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment