Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Friday, March 9, 2012

I Think I'm Going to Like Andrew Bailey

When the Red Sox acquired Andrew Bailey and Ryan Sweeney from the A’s for Josh Reddick and some prospects, I knew who Bailey was. I didn’t know too much about him other than he was the A’s closer, had good stuff, and had some injury issues. He seemed mellow, which was a stark difference from Jonathan Papelbon.

I posted yesterday regarding Papelbon’s comments about Red Sox fans compared to Philly fans. I won’t get into that. I just wanted to post Bailey’s comments on Red Sox fans (found on The Boston Globe website today):

Growing up a Phillies fan, they're great, too. But so far the Nation is pretty good. There's no reason to cause drama from my perspective. Your fans are the ones who go out and support you. For me, I loved them all ... The Red Sox have a very intelligent fan base.

(Bailey didn't know what Papelbon had said until this afternoon. He found it amusing.)

To say one fan base is better than the other, I've never really seen that. It's definitely welcoming to be here. This fan base has been awesome. Papelbon's got to do his own thing down there. He's got to embrace that fan base. I'm thankful to be here and I'm looking forward to the opportunity ... It's going to be fun.

If Bailey can close out the games for the Red Sox with success, I think he will be abreath of fresh air for the Red Sox fan-base. Bailey had a great response to Papelbon’s comments, even though the comments weren’t necessarily made to Bailey himself. Bailey was respectable to everyone, and I like that in a player. I’m looking forward to see how the Nation embraces Bailey.

No comments:

Post a Comment