Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Sunday, March 4, 2012

What We Have to Go Through In Order to Watch the Red Sox

I think I've mentioned it in the past, but in order for people in the Midwest to watch most Red Sox games, they have to purchase either MLB.TV or MLB Extra Innings.  MLB.TV runs on a computer, iPhone, iPad, XBox, Playstation 3, etc.  MLB Extra Innings is through DirecTV.  Either one costs money.

Two years ago when Extra Innings was being advertisded on the MLBNetwork, I thought of a better solution than paying all the money for every game (within blackout conditions); I would just buy the NESN channel.  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  Every program besides games was broadcasted on this channel.  It was nice to get the extra information through their sports' news programs, but that's not what I thought I was getting.

I ended up purching MLB.TV.  Every night, I hooked my computer up to the television, and I watched the games with the NESN commentators.  My only gripe was when the Sox would play the White Sox, Twins, Royals, Cubs, Cardinals, or Brewers; those games were blacked out because of "regional coverage."  For the most part, I was able to find the games against either Chicago team, but the other teams were more tricky.  I ended up either listening to the games on WEEI's broadcasting and/or watching the Gameday graphics on the computer.

This year, my grandparents wanted to do the MLB.TV as well.  This was going to be challenging because while they just had wireless internet put into their home, they don't own a laptop and their computer isn't in a room with a television.  I knew they wouldn't be keen on watching the games on their computer.  So, I was asked to get creatvie.

My youngest brother and I had a few conversations about what the grandparents actually needed.  We thought about getting them a converter box (which I have to watch NetFlix), an XBox (note- games on XBox Live will not be available until March 20th), or a Blu-Ray player.  The XBox was immediately eliminated because while we thought if they gave the Kinect a chance, they might actually like it, my grandparents aren't people who would actually use this device.  We were now between a converter box and a Blu-Ray player.

My grandparents own a DVD player but rarely use it.  They have a DirecTV receiver box as well.  So, my brother, dad, and I thought a Blu-Ray player would be their best choice because it would be one less box for them to have/use.  My dad and I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick one out.  I won't go into too much detail here, but it was clear that one of the salesmen we talked to thought the converter box would be the best way to go while the other salesmen, who we think was the manager, thought the Blu-Ray player would be best.  We went with the Blu-Ray player.

My dad and I took the Blu-Ray player over to my grandparents yesterday, and they were immediately amazed by how slim the player was (compared to their DVD player, which is now in their basement).  Friday, I sent my grandma an email explaining all the features and restrictions of MLB.TV so she would be able to print it off for a reference.  She seemed a bit confused.

I then explained to my grandparents that MLB's contract with their Blu-Ray player wouldn't start until mid-March, and this would be the time when they'd be able to start watching games.  Of course, this confused them.  I also explained that they would have to I told them my youngest brother would come by when he was on Spring Break to hook up their Blu-Ray player, register the player online, download the app, and show them how it would work.  They both gave me blank stares as they said "okay."

Now, I'm sure once everything is hooked up and going, my grandparents will really like their Blu-Ray player and MLB.TV on it.  My grandpa, in particular, will love watching the majority of the games this season.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly in my grandparents' transition to this new technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment