Follow The Blog


Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Made It To Connecticut

Welcome back, everyone!  I know it's been awhile since I've posted (last Monday was the last time I had a post), but it's been a pretty busy last two weeks.  If you've been reading  the blog for awhile, you'll know that I moved to Connecticut this past weekend. 

The ride out wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but that may be because my wonderful boyfriend did most of the driving.  I drove for about forty minutes in New York while he took a quick nap, but that was all.  I was very thankful for this, since I didn't know what exits to take and didn't feel comfortable driving on the highway (side note: in the Northeast, they do not call Interstates "interstates," they are called "highways."  My boyfriend has been telling me this for months now, but I don't think I'll be able to say "highway" when they technically are "interstates.").

I thought I'd post some of the pictures I took while on our drive:

I needed a pictures of the "Davenport" sign before I left.  I'd like to eventually get this pictures put on canvas and hang either in our office or living room, as well as an "Amesbury" sign for my boyfriend's home town of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

We weren't too far out of the Quad Cities when we came across the Jelly Belly RV and Bug.  I particularly enjoyed the stuffed Jelly Belly "driving" the car in the second photo.

We made it to Peru, Illinois before my bike rack broke.  Word of warning: if you have a step-through bike (like I do), you may need to check to see if an adapter is needed to mount onto a bike rack.  I went to a bicycle shop to make sure the bike rack I bought was going to hold-up for the 18 hour car drive.  The bike shop did not sell me the adapter though; and 1 hour and 15 minutes in, the bike was flapping around behind my car.  

Luckily, we were about 20 feet from an exit, and we were able to pull into a gas station parking lot.  My boyfriend's great and never seems to get flustered, unlike me.  I was a little anxious about my bike.  The two possibilities for me would be to leave the bike at the gas station for my parents to pick up or wait at the gas station for my parents to pick the bike up.  

My boyfriend, however, figured out how to take the bike apart into three pieces and fit it into the car.  We may have gotten grease from the bike chain on our clothing and the back headrest of my car, but the bike is at the apartment and put back together.  Thank you, Cole.

We were in Indiana when we game across this guy.  If you're unable to read the sticker, it reads "Sasquatch Research Team."  It was legit too.  It was this guy with California license plates smoking a cigar pulling a U-Haul trailer behind him, probably containing his equipment.

Lastly, "The Jake," formerly known as "Jacob's Field."  We checked to see if the Indians were playing at home, but they were in Detroit.  I kind of wanted to see Francona.

My boyfriend's dad and his family live in Buffalo, New York, so that was our stopping place Saturday night.  We were exhausted, but somehow managed to stay awake to watch a movie.  The next day, we went to waterfront and had lunch.  I had authentic "Buffalo wings" and "Beef on Weck" for lunch.  I got the staples in.

We arrived at our apartment around 9:45 Sunday night.  It was a little strange walking into this apartment and saying "we made it home."  Davenport has been my home for the last 28 1/2 years, and it's strange to think of any other place as "home."  However, change can sometimes be a good thing.

I'm going to miss my family and friends greatly while I'm in Connecticut, but I know that I can visit them and they can visit me whenever we like.  For those who would like to visit, Hartford has an airport and an Amtrak station.  It is pretty exciting that I will get to see two of my closest friends this coming weekend...

... which brings me to my Red Sox news!  As I've mentioned before, I will be going to the Red Sox v. Yankees game at Fenway Park on the 14th.  However, as of last night, I will be going to the Red Sox v. Yankees game at Yankee Stadium this coming Saturday too!  I've never been to New York City before, so I'm pretty excited for that, even if it will be brief.  Just being able to have the opportunity to go to both these games is amazing!

Unfortunately, that's all I am able to write about the Red Sox at the moment.  The cable guy doesn't come to the apartment until tomorrow, so I haven't been able to watch a game since last week.  (Kind of ironic that I move CLOSER to the Red Sox and can't watch a game, right?  Thank you MLB Blackout restrictions...).  

I also won't be having a Twitter Friday post this week, as I didn't have Wi-Fi until Monday evening and haven't been able to keep track of the tweets.  I will do a regular post of some-sort on Friday though.  You can still follow the blog's Twitter feed @BornIntoItInIA and my personal Twitter account @AshleyAries.