Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, September 9, 2013

Red Sox @ Yankees, September 7, 2013

As I stated last week, I went to the Red Sox-Yankees game at Yankees Stadium on Saturday.  The Red Sox won 13-9, and I'd like to say that they won handily.  They didn't, as you can tell from the score.  Despite that, it was exactly what I expected a Red Sox-Yankees game to be.  There were lots of runs, great plays, and the atmosphere was incredible.  The Red Sox ended up taking 3 of 4 against the Yankees in the series.

Lackey was the starting pitcher for the Red Sox.  I was really expecting a great performance by Lackey and a low-run support from the Red Sox offense, as that seemed to be the case for the last month or so of Lackey's starts.  I got the opposite.  Lackey gave up 7 earned runs in 5.2 innings, but he got the win as the Red Sox exploded with 12 runs before he was pulled.

I witnessed Xander Bogaerts' first, MLB-career home run on Saturday as well.  The ball was crushed (estimated at 443 feet) to right-center-field and landed about 10 rows in front of where I was seated.  I found it interesting to hear people cheer when the person who caught the ball tossed it into the Red Sox bullpen, as if a Yankee fan wouldn't want a home run ball by anyone (I would... unless maybe it was A-Rod hitting the home run).  What the people booing may not know is it was Bogaerts' first home run, and the fan who caught the ball was probably compensated by the Red Sox.

Yankee Stadium is really nice too, though I found it a little too gimmicky for my liking.  The Stadium is everything you'd expect from the Yankees: big, nice features, expensive beer, and gourmet food.  However, in between innings the Jumbotron had different features like matching games, learning Spanish words from Mariano Rivera (and teammates), and Derek Jeter giving service announcements constantly.  Overall, I would definitely go back.

Remember, I will be going to the Red Sox-Yankees game this Saturday at Fenway Park.  After this weekend's experience, I'm even more excited about the game.  Here are some pictures from the game on Saturday:

Yankee Stadium

View of the field before the game

Lackey warming up

Red Sox bullpen coach Dana LeVangie

Lackey still warming up

Lavarnway, LaVangie (not sure who is behind him), and Lackey

Me and my friend, Laura (she wore neutral navy to the game)

Another view of the field before the game

My boyfriend, Cole, and me

Pedro Martinez is the last person in the group walking towards the dugout

First batter, Shane Victorino

Red Sox are batting

Jackie Bradley Junior in Center Field

Jonny Gomes in Right Field

No comments:

Post a Comment