Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, October 7, 2013

David Price: "Save It Nerds"

The Twitter-sphere was ablaze Saturday into Sunday with David Price's tweets and responses.  Disclaimer: I've never had a problem with Price.  I think he's one of the best and consistent pitchers in the game.  However, I do think he was pretty unprofessional when he took to Twitter.

I understand that David Price was frustrated with his performance.  He went 7.0 innings, but gave up 7 runs on 9 hits.  He gave up 2 home runs to David Ortiz, when Ortiz had never homered off Price in his career.  I'm not sure how it was reflected on the television; but the fans, at least where I was sitting, didn't seem to heckle Price.  Myers, the fans heckled relentlessly, but Price not so much.

Price seemed to attack everyone who had a comment or criticism about his performance.  The fact that he attacked MLB analysts and told them to "SAVE IT NERDS," shows that this was a very unprofessional move.  Twitter is a way for athletes to not only voice their opinions, but they're selling their brand, their team.  If people don't know much about David Price and only catch his exchange on Twitter, they may not sense that he is a professional athlete.

If you'll recall, Will Middlebrooks went through a similar situation early this season when his performance was suffering on the field.  He used Twitter as a way to defend his performance, and it wasn't the best thing for him.  When he went to Triple-A, Middlebrooks stopped tweeting as much, which is said to have been a condition the Red Sox put on him.  In the end, Middlebrooks fought his way back to the Majors and has let his performance do the talking.

What I think David Price needs to understand is that everyone has their own opinions.  Twitter, and other social medias, lets everyday people as well as critics and analysts voice their opinion (much like what I do on this blog).  For a professional athlete to start attacking people's opinions is unprofessional.

I hope David Price is able to move past this and focus on his career... okay, maybe after the Red Sox win the ALDS.  David Price is a great player, and he's going to cash in when he hits free agency.  However, he needs to learn when to let things go.

I reposted his tweets below, including his apology.  In my opinion, I think he should've apologized to Dick Hayhurst and Tom Verducci personally, and maybe he has or will.  Social media can be a blessing and a curse, and I think Price realized that this weekend.






No comments:

Post a Comment