Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Red Sox Win Game 1 of World Series

If you watched last night's game or have seen any kind of news, social media, or interacted with someone today, you'll know that the Red Sox won game 1 of the World Series 8-1.  The game was great for Red Sox fans.  I was surprised by how quiet my Facebook Newsfeed was from the Cardinals fans last night, even before the game.  The Red Sox fans, however, were alert and into it.

Jon Lester was magnificent, pitching 7 2/3 innings and giving up 0 runs, 1 walk, and 5 hits.  He struck out 8 and threw 112 pitches.

Photo from The Boston Globe
David Ortiz had a 2-run home run in the 7th inning, and he was robbed of a home run earlier in the game when it was grabbed by Carlos Beltran reaching into the Red Sox bullpen.  This was reminiscent of the home run Ortiz hit in the ALCS when Torii Hunter went flipping into the bullpen without retrieving the ball.  Unlike Hunter, Beltran was able to make the out, but he would later leave the game and be checked out at the hospital for a rib contusion.

Photo from The Boston Globe
Ortiz ended the night with 2 hits and 3 RBIs.  Pedroia had 2 singles, 2 runs, and 1 RBI for the Red Sox.  Napoli had a bases clearing double in the first inning and earned 3 RBIs.  Jonny Gomes made a spectacular catch in left field before committing the Red Sox's only error of the game.  The Cardinals, however, committed 3 errors.

Cardinals starter, Adam Wainwright, only lasted 5 innings, and had an embarrassing fiscal where a pop out landed between him and catcher, Yadier Molina (this was not counted as an error, but it seemed like a big error of judgment).  Wainwright gave up 5 runs, in the first 2 innings.  Kozma committed 2 errors for the Cardinals (a missed catch and a fielding error), and Freese committed throwing error.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee the Cardinals won't repeat their mistakes from last night.  Those errors were costly for the Cardinals, and they're not a team that commits many errors.  Tonight's Game 2 will feature John Lackey for the Red Sox against Michael Wacha for the Cardinals.

I saw today where Jimmy Fallon had his famous "Puppy Predictors" predict the outcome to the World Series, and the Red Sox are favored to win.  Here's the clip:


I don't know; that seems like the odds are in the Red Sox favor based on that.  And, I admit, I did the whole "Awh..." thing when I saw the puppies in the clip.  Couldn't help it.

As I mentioned yesterday, one of my best friends is a Cardinals fan, and I was afraid we wouldn't be able to wager during this series.  We're going to do it cross-country-like though.  Her husband will bite the bullet and drink delicious Sam Adams' Oktoberfest because the Red Sox won last night.  If the Cardinals would have won, my boyfriend and I would be drinking 312.

Well, that's it for me today.  I don't know if I'll be able to post tomorrow; but if I get the time, I'll make sure I post and get the word out.  

Go Red Sox!

No comments:

Post a Comment