Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Friday, October 4, 2013

Random Thoughts Before the Start of the ALDS

I've been waiting for the game to start today and started to think about the some different random thoughts I had regarding the season, the postseason, and all things MLB.  So, I'm doing what I do best and posting them on the blog.

Photo from The Boston Herald
  • Jon Lester has been pretty incredible of late, and we fans hope he can continue his dominance today.  But, I think another important thing to point out is the Rays will be having Matt Moore start for them today.  Moore may be 17-4 with a 3.29 ERA this season, but he was on the disabled list all of August.  Since coming back on September 3rd, he has yet to go more than 6.1 innings.  If the red Sox can chase Moore out of the game early, they'll have a good chance against the Rays bullpen.
  • It's pretty fair to point out that if the Rays are able to get Lester out of the game early, they could also have an advantage against the Red Sox bullpen.  Aside from Uehara and Breslow, the bullpen has a lot of question marks.  Doubront made the roster, and Thornton did not.  The fact that we need to bring up the fact that Doubront made the roster over Thornton tells you something about the bullpen.
  • The tarp is currently down at Fenway Park because of showers and batting practice for both the Red Sox and Rays has been cancelled.  I live in Connecticut, and I can't remember the last time it rained.  Sort of ironic that it should rain the first day of the ALDS.  Hopefully, the showers clear away before the game.
  • Pete Abraham of The Boston Globe reported that John Farrell arrived at Fenway Park at 7:45 this morning, and Salty was there too.  Does that mean Pedroia wasn't the first player at the park?
  • NESN reported that Dustin Pedroia called the Red Sox "2013 World Series Champs" as early as the Marathon Bombings.  I know it would mean a lot to Boston if the Red Sox were able to win the World Series.  A lot of emotions there.
  • Reds Manager Dusty Baker was fired this morning.  Now, I'm not a big Dusty Baker fan or even a Reds fan (though, I've remained an Arroyo fan over the years), and I don't know the circumstances.  However, I would think if your manager could get your team to the playoffs, even the Wild Card playoff game, they deserve to keep their job.  Same can be said with the speculation that Ron Washington would be fired (which they have now said he won't be).  Don't get it.
  • Alex Rodriguez has filed a lawsuit against MLB and Bud Selig are trying to "smear his character and cost him his livelihood." If you recall, Rodriguez is currently appealing his 211-game ban because of his involvement with Biogenesis.  Personally, I would think that someone in Rodriguez's many, many attorneys would advise Rodriguez that he's making matters worse.  Adding fuel to the fire.  Of course, A-Rod's attorneys want to get paid, and A-Rod wants to stay in the public eye.  The fact that A-Rod feels the need to file his lawsuit on such an important day for the postseason (four games today) shows his need to stay in the spotlight.  Really showing his "character" and "livelihood."

That's all I have for today.  I would love a Red Sox sweep of the Rays!  Again, I'll be going to the game tomorrow, and I'll be sure to share pictures from the game on Monday.  Here's one last photo I found to put you all in the mood for the playoffs:

Photo from www.timesunion.com

No comments:

Post a Comment