Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Goodbye, Tim Wakefield

Tim Wakefield retired yesterday.  I had a long, detailed post that I wrote yesterday, but I lost it before I was able to post.  Instead of trying to recreate that post, I wanted to just tell a few tidbits about what I'll remember about Tim Wakefield, my favorite knuckleballer.

I've been going to Red Sox games for most of my life, typically going to at least one every year or so (I'd like it to be more, but living in the Midwest has some pitfalls for that).  For years, it seemed that every time I saw a guy, Tim Wakefield was pitching.  While watching Wake was always enjoyable, especially when his knuckleball was floating past batters, it was always a little frustrating too because I wanted to see Jason Varitek catch.  Since Doug Mirabelli was Tim Wakefield's personal catcher for years and even when he wasn't Varitek typically didn't catch for Wake, seeing Varitek play live wasn't always an option.

2003.  Aaron Boone.  I don't want to say any more about the game 7 of the ALCS game, but Wakefield's face was so sad at the end of that game.  I always think about the Little League World Series when I think of Wakefield at the end of that game.  For the record, I don't like the LLWS because of sad the losing team looks.  'Nuff said.

2009 was such a phenomenal year for Wakefield (well, at least the first half).  He became the oldest pitcher in Red Sox history to pitch a complete game, then did it his next start.  At the All-Star break, Wake had the best record, 11-3, which gave him his first and only appearance at the All-Star game.  It's said that as President Obama greeted the players in the locker room, he said to Wakefield "So, you're the senior statesman," or something to that effect.

Tim Wakefield filled in any and every role he was asked to do; starter, spot-starter, relief, closer, mop-up, etc.  He was drafted as a first baseman, converted to a knuckleball pitcher after being told he would never get above Double-A, and spent seventeen years with the Red Sox.  He is third in all-time wins with the Red Sox, behind only Cy Young and Roger Clemens.  As much as I would have liked to see a class-act like Wakefield break Clemens record, it was time.  Seeing Wake struggle to get his 200th win (it did take eight attempts after all).

Tim Wakefield had a great career, and I wish him all the best.  I hope that he still is a part of the Red Sox or MLB in some capacity because it's always nice to see that "good guys" of the game (i.e. Mike Lowell on MLBNetwork).  Thank you, Tim Wakefield.

*Pitchers and catcher report tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment