Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Monday, February 13, 2012

Yoennis Cespedes to the A's?

This really had nothing to do with the Red Sox, but I'm still scratching my head about Yoennis Cespedes signing with the A's.  Reportedly for 4-years/$36 million, the A's signed probably the most talked about free agent outfielder of the offseason.  Why?

All offseason, it seemed like Billy Beane was practically giving players away to get "younger."  He traded Bailey to the Red Sox, Gonzalez to the Nationals.  Now, I haven't watched or read "Moneyball," but I've been hearing for years that Billy Beane is a genius.  Okay- the A's always seem to have young, great pitching. 

Now, the A's sign Cespedes, and they're still supposedly thinking about signing Manny Ramirez.  Cespedes is an unproven 26-year-old with a great youtube video.  He might end up being a great sign, I'm not saying that.  What I am saying is for a team supposedly going "younger," signing an unproven 26-year-old for that amount of money seems a little odd.  Then, when you add Manny, who is not young or without his own bag of concerns, it just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Again, I am not an A's expert.  I just needed to vent my confusion on this deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment