Follow The Blog

Pinterest

Thursday, February 16, 2012

To Tweet or Not to Tweet?

I’ve been contemplating getting a Twitter account even though I really think Twitter is kind of dumb. Sometimes, I wish society could go back to the way it was, say, ten years ago. We didn’t have facebook to cyber-stalk our friends, enemies, and frenemies (I’m pretty sure “frenemies” wasn’t even a word back then). People didn’t send out mass-texts announcing “Merry Christmas!” or “I had the best burger ever!” (though, I admit, I have been known to do the former from time-to-time). Things seemed to be at a slower pace and more personable.

What does any of this have to do with baseball, you ask? Yesterday, my brother, Jacob, told me about Darnell McDonald’s tweet, which read:

Since I pitched last year I’m wondering if I have to report w/ pitchers and catchers?
#ImReady


I absolutely loved this! (For those who don’t know or remember, Darnell McDonald pitched one inning last year, giving up two earned runs while facing six batters.)  The Red Sox, John Henry, The Boston Globe, and so many other people/Red Sox organizations are now on Twitter, not to mention David Ortiz, Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andrew Bailey, Cody Ross, and Carl Crawford.

As previously stated, my brother, Jacob, is on Twitter. I know he follows Lester, Ellsbury, and Bailey. I was thinking about getting the Twitter account to follow the Red Sox and the players, as well as some people from the MLBNetwork (like Kevin Millar, who is absolutely hilarious on “Intentional Talk”).  I went through a Twitter page that featured some of the current/retired MLB athletes and managers, and while I knew Ozzie Guillen had a lot of followers, I was surprised by who had the most followers (by my count). Nick Swisher! That surprised me, since I find him kind of annoying (and not just because he’s a Yankee, I found him a little annoying on the White Sox too). I think it would be interesting to see what Swisher had to say, I
guess.

Anyway, I guess if I want to take this blog seriously and continue to write posts that I (and hopefully others) find interesting, I’m going to have to suck it up and start following people on Twitter (I’m about 95% sure I will not be “tweeting.”). Anyone have any suggestions on who to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment